Established in 1964, Performing Arts BC (formerly the BC Association of Performing Arts Festivals), is a not-for-profit charity which acts as the umbrella organization for 34 regional performing arts festivals throughout the province. These festivals are as diverse in size and scope as the communities they represent. Over 32,000 young musicians, dancers and dramatic artists, ranging in age from 5 to 28, participate each year in one of these regional festivals. The festival setting gives them an opportunity to gain invaluable educational and performing experience. The Provincial Festival, also known as The Provincials, is the eagerly anticipated pinnacle of BC's festival circuit. Hosted by a different regional festival each year, only the most promising young performers from each regional festival are recommended to the Provincial Festival where they compete and participate in adjudicated sessions, master classes, coaching, workshops and technique classes with some of North America's finest adjudicators. Classes are offered at the Provincial level in Classical Voice, Musical Theatre, Piano, Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, Guitar, Chamber Music, Speech Arts, Ballet, Modern Dance and Stage Dance. The very best performers in various music disciplines are then recommended to move on to the National Music Festival.
2016 - 2017 PABC BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President – Heilwig von Koenigsloew, Milner
Secretary/Treasurer – Sue Reedman, Kamloops
Director – Ashley Campbell, Fort St. John
Director - Carole Bonin, Trail
Director - Lori Elder, Prince George
Director - Caroline Harder, Chilliwack
Director - Sara Pasiciel, Courtenay
Director – Michael Sloan, Nanaimo
Director – Harriet Tuey, Burnaby
We work in concert with local and regional festivals to educate, inspire and stimulate students/performers and to cultivate a life-long passion for the arts.
- To organize and operate an annual Provincial Performing Arts Festival.
- To advance, promote and assist in the development of performing art festivals in communities in BC.
- To provide performing opportunities for amateur performing artists.
- To provide a forum for students of the performing arts--Music, Dance, Speech Arts -to perform in public before an experienced, skilled adjudicator, in order to receive training and opportunities above and beyond what they receive in their regular studies, by way of adjudications and critiques.
- To provide a forum for the enjoyment, greater knowledge of and appreciation for the performing arts, by the performers and by the audience.
- To identify those performers who may be deemed of special talents, abilities and capabilities as a potential "emerging artist."
- To provide assistance to these performers by way of awards, scholarships and tuition assistance.
- To nominate those students identified as potential emerging artists for further performance, training and competition opportunities.
- Performing Arts BC is a not-for-profit charity dedicated to fostering homegrown talent in British Columbia.
- Established in 1964, it is the umbrella organization for 34 local and regional performing arts festivals throughout the province. Over 32,000 performers of all ages participate each year in these festivals.
- Each regional festival sends its most promising young artists between the ages of 10 and 28 (with the recommendation of an adjudicator) to participate in the annual Provincial Festival, also known as "The Provincials"
- The five-day event includes special master classes, lectures, coaching, workshops, technique classes and adjudications.
A COMMITMENT TO ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE
- The calibre of performances at The Provincials reflects the advanced level of instruction and the emphasis on achieving one's personal best.
- We also offer awards, scholarships and tuition assistance. In addition, we nominate emerging artists for further performance, training and competition opportunities.
- Above all, Performing Arts BC strives to celebrate achievement, stimulate the creative spirit and cultivate an appreciation for the arts.
- Performing Arts BC, along with its 34 member festivals, is a member of the Federation of Canadian Music Festivals.
PABC Constitution, Bylaws, Policies and Procedures